Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:04:51 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Ah, okay.  You said you didn't care for the current order, so I
> thought the order you suggested was based on some principles yhou
> could describe.
>
> If the order is not the aspect you wanted us to consider, then which
> aspects are?  I admit that I didn't give a thought to any other
> aspects yet.

Well, it is roughly, but only very roughly here, based on an idea to put
more important things higher up.  (The thing that makes it "rough" is
that I didn't think through carefully the exact ordering that makes
sense.)  This goes for both the sections and the commands themselves.

Today we just have them in alphabetical order.

In the final section (currently named "Other") I'm not sure we can find
an "order of importance".  Whereas `describe-function' clearly is more
important `describe-local-help'.

I think it would be useful also to get feedback on introducing titled
sections, and the overall visual appearance (including coloring the
keybindings).