Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:28:50 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 20:26:46 -0600
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > What about tooltips? we run their text through
> > substitute-command-keys, AFAIR, but the tooltip's faces need to use
> > smaller fonts.  So at the very least this face should be documented to
> > affect only some of the face attributes, not all of them (which is
> > generally not such a good idea, as it confuses users).
>
> This doesn't have any effect on the appearance of the tooltip, neither
> in GTK or Lucid.

In GTK, I'm not surprised, but I thought with Lucid Emacs itself pops
up tooltips.

What exactly did you try?  The easiest test is to put a help-echo
property on some text in Fundamental mode, then hover the mouse
pointer over that text.

> Perhaps because it is all overwritten with the
> `tooltip' face in `tooltip'-show?

No, that uses 'propertize', which _adds_ text properties.

> BTW, it doesn't seem to have any effect to customize the `tooltip' face
> here.  Is it supposed to change the look of the tooltip in GTK?

Not in GTK, I think, not unless you set x-gtk-use-system-tooltips to a
nil value.