RE: [External] : Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-comm

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: RE: [External] : Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:22:14 -0600

> Actually no, there was nothing you needed to do, for
> `describe-keymap'.  But you wanted different behavior,
> so you changed it slightly.  Fine.

There are all kinds of adaptions to make before putting things on master
besides just copying it from some library: making sure the code conforms
to our style (yours doesn't), does not have features we do not need
(support for your other "foo+" libraries), adding proper documentation
(yes, we need to update the manual as well), adding NEWS, discussing the
details, testing, etc.

I have no idea why you dismiss that work as "nothing to do".  If it is
so easy and so little work, please start sending patches instead of just
linking some library.  Thanks in advance.

> I don't care if you use my `describe-command' or
> whatever.
[...]
> But what do I know?
>
> [NIH?

Oh, please.  Here is the definition of `describe-command':

    (defun describe-command (command)
      (interactive (help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt 'is-command))
      (describe-function command))

Yeah, I chose not to "re-use" anything here.  Sorry for suffering from
NIH.

I would suggest you actually study my patch, and then point out any
opportunities for re-using your code.  I have now studied your code and
I see *no* such opportunities.  (This was a fully expected result, for
the reasons I have already provided.)