Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:45:42 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> In GTK, I'm not surprised, but I thought with Lucid Emacs itself pops
> up tooltips.
>
> What exactly did you try?  The easiest test is to put a help-echo
> property on some text in Fundamental mode, then hover the mouse
> pointer over that text.

0. emacs -Q
1. M-x fundamental-mode RET
2. M-: (insert (propertize "foo" 'help-echo "foo \\[forward-line]")) RET

No visible effect on the tooltip --with-x-toolkit={gtk,lucid,athena,no}.

(With GTK, I also tried with x-gtk-use-system-tooltips set to nil.)

>> BTW, it doesn't seem to have any effect to customize the `tooltip' face
>> here.  Is it supposed to change the look of the tooltip in GTK?
>
> Not in GTK, I think, not unless you set x-gtk-use-system-tooltips to a
> nil value.

Ah, right.  I will add that to the docstring of the `tooltip' face.