Re: master e5392d3: Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater b

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e5392d3: Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater backwards compat
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 07:57:11 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 19:02:32 -0500
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
> > branch: master
> > commit e5392d38ac27c4cf1674997ab38a453877e65109
>
> >     Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater backwards compat
>
> This may be more compatible for the goal of "replace old-style menu
> definitions with easymenu ones", but it is an incompatible change for
> any menus already defined with easymenu, which may be accessed by any
> code outside of Emacs.
>
> Eg term-mode-map used to contain "Signals", now it contains "signals".

What I had in mind was to teach lookup-key to look for both "Signals"
and "signals", perhaps first trying the literal match, then the
non-literal one.  And the same with "Create Empty file" vs
"create-empty-file".  Doing this in advance in easymenu is probably
going to cause more problems, indeed, especially as it can only handle
a single "normalized" symbol, whereas we may need to try several
alternatives to be less backward-incompatible.