Re: master e5392d3: Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater b

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master e5392d3: Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater backwards compat
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:46:39 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I was thinking of this :symbol keyword not as something we would use in
>> general, but in special cases where the symbol is known (or suspected to
>> be used) by other packages.  The more general case difference thing
>> should be handled more generally.
>
> How can we know if a symbol is used?  There could be some 3rd party
> package out there using it which we didn't hear about.

We should be able to get a fairly good estimate by checking our own
sources, GNU ELPA, and code search on GitHub.

If we want to take it to the next level one could download all of MELPA
and check there too.  (If someone has a one-liner or a short script to
download all packages and keep them updated, I'm personally all ears.)