Re: master e5392d3: Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater b

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e5392d3: Make easymenu downcase the menu symbol for greater backwards compat
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 15:56:45 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 07:51:12 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Changing `lookup-key' to accept both forms (like Eli) suggests in a
> followup would be better, of course, if it can be done efficiently.

It should be as efficient as before for the case of a literal match;
it will be less efficient for a non-literal match or a mismatch.

> easymenu should also be extended with a form to allow explicitly
> specifying the symbol to use: For instance, if you change the name of
> the menu now, the symbol will also change.  So for backwards
> compatibility, symbols should be specified when changing the name in
> easymenu calls.

That'd be fine with me, but then (a) we should make sure the symbols
are in fact specified in all the uses of easymenu that replace
existing menus; and (b) would that still leave easymenu so much more
convenient to justify the switch?