Re: font-lock-fontify-block

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: font-lock-fontify-block
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 21:57:18 +0000

Would you be OK with the idea of deprecating the use of `font-lock-fontify-block' for the specific case where font-lock is not enabled?

I only ever use it in that case to _remove_ the faces from text yanked from a fontified buffer. So that's another important use case for M-o M-o.

Actually, I see I've misremembered: this is handy not when font-lock-mode is off, but when it's on and I yank text from another mode. A typical use case is when I yank from some program fragment into a text-mode buffer: the original fontification is left alone until I type M-o M-o.

I have four remarks:

1. I was surprised to read this, it's something I never see. It turns out that I don't see this because I have in my .emacs:

(global-whitespace-mode 1)
(setq whitespace-style '(face trailing empty))

2. That being said, font-lock-fontify-block is not a good solution to that problem, it doesn't work when the yanked text is larger than 16 lines, except of course with a prefix argument.

3. font-lock-flush would not solve that problem, it has no apparent effect in the case you mention.

4. Is this not something that could/should be done inside yank, with (if font-lock-mode (font-lock-fontify-region (point-min) (point-max)))?