Re: Detecting changes between dark and light mode on Mac OS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Detecting changes between dark and light mode on Mac OS
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 08:01:31 +0100

Daphne Preston-Kendal <dpk@nonceword.org> writes:

> Not to pester, more to enquire: I submitted this patch nearly two
> weeks ago and still haven’t heard any feedback.

[...]

> Is there a better place than this to send it to get the attention of
> the people who work on Cocoa Emacs and can help more directly with
> this question? Should I just send it directly to
> bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?

Sorry about the lack of feedback here -- yes, in general, it's better to
send patches to the issue tracker (i.e., bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org) than to
emacs-devel, because patches have a tendency to get lost on emacs-devel.

I'm don't use Macos much myself, so I can't really comment on the
Macos-specific parts of the patch, but:

> +  DEFSYM (Qns_dark_mode_changed_hook, "ns-dark-mode-changed-hook");
> +
> +  DEFVAR_LISP ("ns-dark-mode-changed-hook", Vns_dark_mode_changed_hook,
> +               doc: /* Hook run when the Mac OS system-wide UI theme changes
> from dark to light or vice versa. */);
> +

In Emacs, we generally don't add features that work on non-free
operating systems only.  So this should instead be a general
`dark-mode-changed-hook' feature, with a specific implementation on
GNU/Linux, Macos, etc.

And we should definitely have a feature in Emacs to respond to dark-mode
changes across the board.  I seem to recall there being some discussion
about this in the past, but I can't find it now.  Does anybody remember
where that went?