Re: Detecting changes between dark and light mode on Mac OS

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Detecting changes between dark and light mode on Mac OS
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 17:52:53 +0000

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 05:51:26PM +0100, Daphne Preston-Kendal wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Not to pester, more to enquire: I submitted this patch nearly two
> weeks ago and still haven’t heard any feedback. I submitted it here
> because the Emacs manual says ‘If your patch is not complete and you
> think it needs more discussion, you might want to send it to
> emacs-devel@gnu.org instead.’
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html>
>
> I *think* my patch is complete, but out of inexperience I’m
> unsure. (For instance, I know I shouldn’t break support for GNUstep or
> any previous Mac OS version going back to 10.6, but I don’t have any
> way to test that, nor sufficient experience with the relevant
> platforms to know if the changes I made are even likely to cause
> problems in those departments, though I don’t think they would.) Is
> there a better place than this to send it to get the attention of the
> people who work on Cocoa Emacs and can help more directly with this
> question? Should I just send it directly to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?

Sorry, it fell through the cracks.

I'm not sure about this patch purely on the grounds that the scrollbar
colour Just Works with the Emacs theme in the current set up, but when
you explicitly set light or dark it has to explicitly match the theme
or it looks very strange. Even then the background is the wrong colour
in themes that don't use white or black.

Is that down to our choice of light and dark macOS themes? Perhaps
there's a smarter way of setting the theme for various widgets?

Aside from that it looks OK to me. The only major changes I think I'd
require are some #ifs to limit the new code to macOS 10.14+, but
that's not a big problem.
--
Alan Third