Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 15:33:53 +0300

> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, "Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net>,
>  Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>,
>  emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier
>  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>  John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org>
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:14:20 +0300
>
> On 03.09.2021 15:11, João Távora wrote:
> > - default, the default
> > - space-hippie, or space-pinhead, a reference to spacemacs and to Emacs'
> > hidden 70s origins
> > - doctor-doom, likewise for doom emacs, couldn't find anything
> > particularly clever here, sorry.
> >
> > The idea are that the latter two are reasonably familiar to people
> > migrating from those distributions. Not sure about vi kebinds though, ugh...
>
> That's a little silly: people don't usually migrate off those
> distributions to vanilla. Or those that do, can already choose the
> settings they want to carry over.

I'm not sure this is a silly idea: I see on Reddit people saying
they'd like switch from some distro to vanilla Emacs.  When they do
so, they could appreciate starting from something that's close to what
they are familiar with.

In any case, only offering such profiles could tell whether they are
useful or not.

> Spacemacs and Doom don't differ that much between themselves either, not
> in basic behaviors.

Then maybe we need just one profile, not 2.