Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:59:37 +0300

On 03.09.2021 09:12, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
We have previously discussed extending the concept of a "theme", which
is currently basically just visual.  I think the way forward here is to
allow people to create opinionated views on how Emacs should work (from
keystrokes on up to basically...  anything), and include these in Emacs.

A key bindings theme is a nice enough concept (for example, to create a native set of key bindings that follows the CUA convention). For that, indeed what's left is for someone to do the work.

Which is significant -- moving all current default bindings around to free up C-x, C-c, C-v, C-a and C-z is a big task, especially if one wants to interoperate with bindings made by third-party modes as well.

But I don't really want to migrate to CUA, personally. Do we not want our other users to enjoy undo-redo? Having a separate theme for every little proposed change seems silly.

And having a theme to just make indent-tabs-mode behavior sane, that would just be ridiculous.