Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:08:23 +0300

On 03.09.2021 15:33, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
That's a little silly: people don't usually migrate off those
distributions to vanilla. Or those that do, can already choose the
settings they want to carry over.
I'm not sure this is a silly idea: I see on Reddit people saying
they'd like switch from some distro to vanilla Emacs.  When they do
so, they could appreciate starting from something that's close to what
they are familiar with.

"Migration to vanilla" usually means hand-crafting the config from scratch, knowing what they want, and what they do not, from e.g. Doom Emacs. And they usually continue using Evil as well, as well as many other third-party packages.

So a vanilla profile is not so important for them as it is for new users. But we could add some variation, of course, if someone wants to maintain it.

In any case, only offering such profiles could tell whether they are
useful or not.

Fair point.