Re: Development Emacs based on Emacs and magit.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Development Emacs based on Emacs and magit.
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 09:15:40 +0300

> From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:11:41 +0800
> Cc: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com>, Emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > This is not about you or me or any other power user of Emacs.  This is
> > about occasional contributors to Emacs, who are accustomed to use the
> > PR workflow via Web forms.  IMO it would be counter-productive to
> > request those contributors to install and use Magit, just to be able
> > to submit a change to us.
>
> Thank you for pointing this out. Considering that Emacs is patched so
> frequently, has it already implemented a complete
> workflow/module/macro/function to wrap the steps described here [1]
> with just several or one keystroke?

No, because we don't want to force anything on the contributor's
workflow.  Developing a change is not a one-keystroke thing, it
requires writing the code, testing it, sending the patch, receiving
review comments, modifying the code accordingly, etc. etc.  I don't
see how this could be done with a single keystroke, even in principle.