Re: tab-bar: Defining another mouse-button binding?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: tab-bar: Defining another mouse-button binding?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:39:01 +0200

>> The real message text is
>>
>>    <nil> <wheel-down> is undefined
>>
>> and similarly for wheel-up.
>
> Thanks for clarification.  Actually, there is already such bindings:
>
>      (define-key map [wheel-up]    'tab-previous)
>      (define-key map [wheel-down]  'tab-next)
>
> So the problem is that it emits <nil> instead of <tab-bar>.
> And as I understand, the same <nil> is emitted on the tab-line
> instead of <tab-line> on GUI frames and on TTY frames.

With mouse wheel scrolls one has to be always prepared that the scroll
is intended for one window while the mouse is positioned anywhere on
your frame.  ISTR a problem with multiple Windows windows - I had an
external application that determined which window it should scroll from
the position of the mouse and the nearest scroll bar widget it found.
Something like `mouse-wheel-follow-mouse' on a widget base ...  Windows
without scroll bar lost in this regard.

BTW `mouse-wheel-down-event' and `mouse-wheel-up-event' are customizable
so it should work by setting these to mouse-4 and mouse-5.

martin