Re: describe-char on emoji sequences

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe-char on emoji sequences
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:02:41 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,  cloos@jhcloos.com,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:43:43 +0200
>
> On Okt 27 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > We need to understand how to adjust it.  Does 1.9 lack support for
> > one of the characters we require for Emoji in
> > script-representative-chars?
>
> How do I check?

The easiest way is to start Emacs like this:

  emacs -Q -fn "Noto Color Emoji"

then oinsert the two characters we have for Emoji in
script-representative-chars, and see if they display as glyphs or as
"tofu".

(It could be that Emacs will refuse to start with Noto Color Emoji as
the default font, for some reason.  Then I will suggest a slightly
more complex method.)