Re: describe-char on emoji sequences

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe-char on emoji sequences
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:13:14 +0300

> From: James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Copyright: Copyright 2021 James Cloos
> OpenPGP-Fingerprint: E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:08:30 -0400

> LI> I'm guessing this means that you don't have an emoji font installed?  I
> LI> use Noto Color Emoji.
>
> :; fc-list|grep -i emoji
> /usr/local/share/fonts/DOZE10/seguiemj.ttf: Segoe UI
> Emoji:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta
> /home/cloos/.fonts/GeckoEmoji.ttf: Gecko Emoji:style=Regular
> /home/cloos/.fonts/AndroidEmoji.ttf: Android Emoji:style=Regular
> /usr/share/fonts/noto-emoji/NotoEmoji-Regular.ttf: Noto Emoji:style=Regular

AFAIU, this means you don't have Noto Color Emoji, so Emacs picks up
the first matching font it finds, and that is Symbola, which doesn't
support Emoji sequences.

The solution is either to install Noto Color Emoji, or to customize
your fontset to specify one of the above fonts you do have, assuming
some of them do support Emoji sequences.