Re: describe-char on emoji sequences

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: describe-char on emoji sequences
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:36:49 +0200

    >> From: James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>
    >> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >> Copyright: Copyright 2021 James Cloos
    >> OpenPGP-Fingerprint: E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6
    >> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:08:30 -0400

    LI> I'm guessing this means that you don't have an emoji font installed?  I
    LI> use Noto Color Emoji.
    >>
    >> :; fc-list|grep -i emoji
    >> /usr/local/share/fonts/DOZE10/seguiemj.ttf: Segoe UI

Emoji:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta
    >> /home/cloos/.fonts/GeckoEmoji.ttf: Gecko Emoji:style=Regular
    >> /home/cloos/.fonts/AndroidEmoji.ttf: Android Emoji:style=Regular
    >> /usr/share/fonts/noto-emoji/NotoEmoji-Regular.ttf: Noto
Emoji:style=Regular

    Eli> AFAIU, this means you don't have Noto Color Emoji, so Emacs picks up
    Eli> the first matching font it finds, and that is Symbola, which doesn't
    Eli> support Emoji sequences.

    Eli> The solution is either to install Noto Color Emoji, or to customize
    Eli> your fontset to specify one of the above fonts you do have, assuming
    Eli> some of them do support Emoji sequences.

If using one or the above fonts works, and itʼs a free font, then we
could add it to the default fontset for emoji (Iʼd hazard a guess that
anything under the 'DOZE10' directory doesnʼt fit that description)

Robert