Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:09:18 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Feng Shu" <tumashu@163.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:36:14 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Something like that, yes.  But mainly I wonder how do other GUI
> > applications solve this.  Emacs cannot be the first one to bump into
> > this problem.
>
> They define the height of their bars to some constant value not
> determined by the size of the text.

What do you mean by "bars"?

And I believe the issue was more general than just the height of the
mode line and the mini-window.  The issue was how to make sure the CJK
wide characters take exactly twice the width of Latin characters in a
fixed-pitch font.  The height issue is sometimes _caused_ by the width
issue: users specify a larger CJK font to satisfy the width
requirement, and then have the problem with height because of the
larger font.

So my question was about both issues: the width and the height.  The
later should also be solved in the body of the window, not just in
mode-line and header-line parts, I believe.

If anyone knows or could find out how other applications solve these
issues, it could help us come up with ideas that are not only useful,
but also help users by presenting similar solutions to what they are
already used to.