Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 17:41:44 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What do you mean by "bars"?

Tab bars and status bars, mostly: the former act like Emacs tab lines,
and the latter act like Emacs modelines.

> And I believe the issue was more general than just the height of the
> mode line and the mini-window.  The issue was how to make sure the CJK
> wide characters take exactly twice the width of Latin characters in a
> fixed-pitch font.  The height issue is sometimes _caused_ by the width
> issue: users specify a larger CJK font to satisfy the width
> requirement, and then have the problem with height because of the
> larger font.

See below, thanks.

> So my question was about both issues: the width and the height.  The
> later should also be solved in the body of the window, not just in
> mode-line and header-line parts, I believe.

> If anyone knows or could find out how other applications solve these
> issues, it could help us come up with ideas that are not only useful,
> but also help users by presenting similar solutions to what they are
> already used to.

Other programs do not try to solve the more general problem here, only
the lines.  And I think solving the problem with the mode-line and
header-line and tab bar and tab lines is enough to make people happy,
because I've never heard anyone complain about this for any other
reason.