Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:58:16 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> How do we pick better proportional fonts, when we don't want to
> mention their names in Emacs unless they are free fonts?  Windows
> systems usually don't come with free fonts, and installing such fonts
> for an unprivileged user becomes harder and harder by the minute in
> today's paranoid world with its CISO characters covering their butt by
> denying users even the most elementary access rights to their systems.

Huh.  I thought Microsoft had published a whole bunch of free fonts?  Or
at least that Windows comes with a whole bunch of fonts by default?  (I
don't really know a lot about Windows, fortunately. 😀)

>> > Mine is much uglier.
>>
>> Could you post a screenshot?
>
> Attached.

Yeah, that was pretty bad.

I haven't knowingly installed any fonts on the Windows VM -- I just
downloaded the OS image and installed it in Parallels.