Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 12:08:37 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>   Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org>
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 11:12:05 +0200
>
> > *  [master~1208] Save position in mark ring before jumping to definition
>
> This is a good example of an unhelpful commit message.
> There is no way to guess it's about lisp/help-mode.el.

You don't need to guess, you need to look at the rest of the log
message.  We cannot realistically require that everything about the
change will be clear from the summary.  Mentioning file names is, IME,
mostly a waste there, because the file name provides very little
information about the change itself, and takes quite a lot of space,
so doesn't allow to say enough about the change.