Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 09:36:39 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>,  kfogel@red-bean.com,  stefan@marxist.se,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  ttn@gnuvola.org
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:09:20 -0500
>
> > You don't need to guess, you need to look at the rest of the log
> > message.
>
> I guess that begs the question: what do you think is the role of the
> Summary, IOW how is it intended/expected to be used?
>
> In my own experience, there are two main cases where I've made use of them:
>
> - When listing a chain of commits for a particular change.

I don't understand what this means.  Are you talking about the history
of changes in a particular region of a file?  Then "git log -L" is
your friend.

> I wonder how you use them.

I just read the summary and find the ones that could potentially be
relevant to whatever I'm looking for.  But mostly I just use "git log",
where I see the entire log message with all the details.