Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 17:21:57 -0500

>> I can live with using
>>
>>     * filename (func): Short description
>>
>>     Explanation
>
> Why do you want "* ", " (func)" and "." on the summary line?  To my
> mind, that just makes the line longer.

I don't need the "* " there (as mentioned earlier I just usually put it
there out of habit).  Not sure what you mean by "." since there's no such char
in my sample
above, AFAICT.
As for the " (func)" I only put it there if there's room.
Otherwise I use the longer form:

    * filenames: Short description

    Explanation.

    * file1 (func1): desc1.
    (func2): desc2.
    * file2 (func3): desc3.

where "filenames" is a summary of the files.  I don't have a precise
rule for what this should look like because creativity is sometimes
needed to make the whole thing fit on a single line.

        Stefan