Re: New package: resist!

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: New package: resist!
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:33:04 +0000

> Note, though, there's already a package on GNU ELPA called "persist":
>
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/persist.html
Oops, now I have no good idea for name.

> I just looked at the code and I think it should be cleaner w.r.t its use
> of namespace: the file is `resist!.el` and it defines macros and
> functions using the `kv-` prefix as well as the `persistent-` prefix; we
> should unify those 3 names.
After second thought, I think it’s quite hard to reconcile them in a descriptive
way. Does that mean I should split the file into a kv.el and persistent.el?

Is it acceptable that there’re some slight deviation from the
prefix tradition, like make-persistent-variable and kill-persistent-variable?

If to put the package on ELPA, should we also split into two packages?
I think it’s logically one suite of persistence facility though, in that
case, is it good to have two file named kv.el and persistent.el
in a package called Persistence (or to avoid confusion with Persist,
screw it and still call it Resist!)?

Best,
Qiantan