Re: New package: resist!

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: New package: resist!
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 22:53:06 +0100

Le sabato, 11-a de decembro 2021, 22-a horo kaj 26:13 CET Alexandre
Garreau a écrit :
> Le sabato, 11-a de decembro 2021 22-a horo kaj 13:04 CET, vous avez
> écrit
> > > Btw, eieio-persistent (which you didn’t cite in this mail) also
> > > stores
> > > one value per file, just as persist.el, so they’re technically
> > > compatible.
> >
> > I think eieio-persistent occupies a weird position here.
> > It’s not really an implementation of a persistent (key value) store,
> > it’s more like an object oriented prin1.
> > I’m not sure how to incorporate eieio-persistent into our program yet.
>
> It’s very weird because you define one file per object… so yeah it’s not
> a store at all, it just makes objects persist.  But if anyone wants
> objects to persist all in a single store, instead of taking up a lot of
> different spare files (or at least to a predefined directory), they
> might want to use your logging kv, sqlite, gdbm, etc.

Moreover, eieio persistence mechanism doesn’t allow to *automatically*
restore objects.  So you have to manually restore the file name somewhere
else (wait what’s the point of saving if you still have something else to
save (necessarily by another mean) in order to be able to restore?).  A
such mechanism should, for instance, take the filename and use that as a
variable name to put the object into.