Re: New package: resist!

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: New package: resist!
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 02:18:13 +0100

Le dimanĉo, 12-a de decembro 2021, 2-a horo kaj 5:52 CET Michael Heerdegen
a écrit :
> Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:
>

> > It’s not really an implementation of a persistent (key value) store,
> > it’s more like an object oriented prin1.
>
> How does your package handle values whose print syntax can't just be
> `read' to recreate the value?

that’s an issue for pretty much any persistence package, and it would just
as well be while using sqlite, persist, eieio-persistent or anything else.

You must for each of these edge cases make a special condition to invent
some sort of print value, and recognize it back when reading it…  That is,
you must invent a way to prin1 it anyway.  I mean storing data necessarily
requires some sort of serialization (be it native dumping).  It’s part of
the philosophy of lisp anyway to make anything readable and printable.

Now we could try to see what would happen concretely: what kind of values
are you thinking to?