Re: New package: resist!

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: New package: resist!
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 22:01:47 +0100

Le sabato, 11-a de decembro 2021, 15-a horo kaj 6:14 CET Stefan Monnier a
écrit :
> Qiantan Hong [2021-12-11 09:33:04] wrote:
> >> Note, though, there's already a package on GNU ELPA called "persist":
> >> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/persist.html
> >
> > Oops, now I have no good idea for name.
>
> If you look at persist.el (always a good idea when a package by the
> same name shows up), you'll see it has very similar aims.
> `org-persist.el` as well.
>
> So it looks like a good opportunity to see if/how you can improve your
> package such that it can be either build on top of those packages, or
> completely replace some of those packages, or replace some part of
> those packages.

Btw, eieio-persistent (which you didn’t cite in this mail) also stores one
value per file, just as persist.el, so they’re technically compatible.

I don’t know how org-persist stores data, however.

But it would be nice if they all shared a common implementation, so it
would be possible to configure a single backend for all of them at will
(possible, you could still accept that eieio uses something different from
org-persist, since they’re on different levels, and you could also configure
per package, I guess), without for the user to have to multiply its
internal knowledge of more and more software.