Re: sqlite3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 12:06:37 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:33:56 +0100
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> >> So the question is: do we tolerate eight-bit raw bytes in file names
> >> passed to sqlite3?
> >
> > If this is really the case (and the documentation isn't just glossing
> > over details), then I guess we don't tolerate that?
>
> I did some googling, and it seems like the documentation is correct
> here -- the file name passed to sqlite3_open_v2 should indeed be utf-8 only.

The documentation says so, yes.  But I looked inside the sqlite3
source, and I'm now confused: it seems like the Unix code path there
just uses the file name passed to the library without any checks or
changes?  The Windows code does convert from UTF-8 to the wchar_t
(a.k.a. UTF-16) encoding that is native to Windows.

So it sounds like we should use ENCODE_FILE after all?

I asked a question about this on the SQLite forum, let's see what the
gurus there tell.