Re: sqlite3

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 02:19:04 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> And running it under gdb is apparently not very helpful, but I've never
>> run gdb under Windows...
>
> The MinGW port of GDB works very well on Windows, I use it all the
> time.  What problems did you see?

Emacs crashed under gdb, but "bt" didn't give me anything.  (But after
the latest changes, Emacs doesn't crash any more, so I haven't looked
any further.)

>> Can you have a look?  It's probably obvious to you what's going wrong.
>
> I see two problems:
>
>   . Emacs is linked against the sqlite3 DLL statically, because
>     configure.ac unconditionally adds -lsqlite3 to the link command
>     line.  This -lsqlite3 should be removed in the Windows build,
>     since we will be loading the library at run time by an explicit
>     call to the moral equivalent of 'dlopen'.  See how this is done
>     in configure.ac for other optional libraries.
>
>   . You didn't add the necessary stuff to dynamic-library-alist in
>     w32-win.el.  Without that, Emacs doesn't know which DLL to try to
>     load.

Thanks; with those two changes, the sqlite branch now seems to work fine
dynamically loaded under mingw, but you should probably have a look at
this, as this is the very first time I've done this stuff.

So I'll be merging this part of the branch with the trunk in a couple of
days, but not the persistent storage bit, because I'm still not
completely satisfied with the naming.  But (multisession-value ...)
seems to be the contender for now.

(And the documentation probably needs to be expanded a bit.)