Contradictiory directions (Was: Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Contradictiory directions (Was: Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:17:55 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Unless/until we know that it is ok to give Emacs the dynamic sqlite3
> module feature, we should not install it.
>
> Po Lu, would you please remove that feature (disable that code)?

> No, don't do that.

Who do I listen to..? It is already confusing enough to participate in
the development of a large piece of software in my spare time as it is,
so please don't confuse me further with contradictory instructions.

That being said, I'm personally in favour of removing the code.  It
doesn't seem right to leave such a half baked solution to a serious
problem in place.

> There's an allowlist in place.  Only the pcre and csvtable modules (both
> free modules) can be installed now via the current loading mechanism.

It's still based on looking at the names of modules: proprietary modules
could easily be renamed so that their filenames are the same as the free
ones, and vice versa: it is not concrete at all.

The PCRE and csvtable modules are also in the public domain.
Proprietary versions of them could be created ino the future.

BTW, the term "allowlist" is confusing.  It took me a while to guess its
meaning.  Why not use the industry-standard term "whitelist" instead?