Re: Motif support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:54:38 +0800

xenodasein@tutanota.de writes:

>> "Nightmare inside a nightmare" is what happens with _every_ attempt to
>> abstract between different window systems and toolkits.

> That is why I am proposing something else, if you cared to read.

I cared to read, and I don't understand why your proposed solution
doesn't fit the description of "abstraction between window systems".

> You are still writing without reading or understanding what I
> explained on this topic, so please do not reply to me ever again if
> this will keep happening, it is a waste of whole emacs-devel's time,
> not just mine.

You proposed to use FreeType for all text rendering, and I replied why
that is not desirable.

> "Office level" does not mean the same thing as "Office like", same old
> same old.  So you are saying that you want to do what Office does
> without the same level of visual feedback?  I also want to be able to
> move like a car without being one. :)

So you're saying we won't be able to correctly indent (for example)
variable pitch text if we don't have decorations that look like what
MS-Office has? Please demonstrate why that is the case, because I really
cannot believe that statement.

Thanks.