Re: Motif support

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 12:10:06 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02341.html
From: Po Lu
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:54:38 +0800

> I cared to read, and I don't understand why your proposed solution
> doesn't fit the description of "abstraction between window systems"...

The answer is same as the answer to this question:
"How can the old game called Mario is able to have the same HUD on
countless platforms?"
If you study this the answer will become apparent.

> You proposed to use FreeType for all text rendering, and I replied why
> that is not desirable.

You did not read.  It was for a small demonstration prototype program,
not for Emacs.  You are making me write the things I have already
written.

> So you're saying we won't be able to correctly indent (for example)
> variable pitch text if we don't have decorations that look like what
> MS-Office has? Please demonstrate why that is the case, because I really
> cannot believe that statement.

I believe we have different pictures in our heads regarding how much of
the features of Office is desired inside Emacs, which cancels this
this conversation and opens another big one, which I do not want right
now.