Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:16:35 +0200

On 29.12.2021 16:46, Po Lu wrote:
Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

Maybe that hints at an usability problem?

No, it probably hints that nobody finds it neccessary to make use of.

Sadly, no. If I submit a bug and get responses to the original report
from Alice and Bob, then I answer Alice's message, Bob wont see it
unless I add his address to the CC list on my message to Alice.

Okay, but how is that a problem?  Everyone knows to click "Reply All",
which is present even in webmail, and if someone doesn't, he usually
remembers after being asked once.

Some people plainly refuse to consider usability problems with our current workflow, or try to learn from alternatives.

Nothing new here, but I'm sad to see that every time.

Well, just to name an example, bugzilla which is both popular and
ancient, hardly needs any instructions to do those trivial things.

With Bugzilla, you typically have to read the user guide and several
pieces of project-specific documentation documenting their conventions
before you can do something as "trivial" as report a bug.

That's obviously false.

I've reported bugs on Mozilla's bugzilla a few times and never had to read any manuals to do that.

Saw many reports from even less informed users, too.