Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:19:51 -0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Knowing that Emacs is composed by multiple parts largely unrelated one
> to another, I think that the people who maintain Org would be happy to
> not receive bug reports about Gnus, and so on.
>
> The problem is that either it is not possible or it is too difficult to
> set up, AFAIK.

Yes, doing that is pretty much a non-starter with debbugs.

>> Okay, but how is that a problem?  Everyone knows to click "Reply All",
>> which is present even in webmail, and if someone doesn't, he usually
>> remembers after being asked once.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help.  First, not everyone knows that, so we
need to constantly tell people about it.

Second, we often have replies that don't land in the bug tracker because
someone forgot or accidentally hit "Reply" instead of "Reply to all".
I've seen this happens with all kinds of users, including regular
contributors.