Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 19:18:48 +0100

    Dieter> Yes and no.

    Dieter> A really brilliant joke is that you can see in etc/HELLO - with
Emacs-28
    Dieter> - for the language "emoji" a "WAVING HAND SIGN" icon.

    Dieter> Then I tried a follow-up joke of my own: A simple character emoji
":D"
    Dieter> and claimed that Emacs-28 hasn't learned "emoji".  In Emacs-29 I
would
    Dieter> have put in (with C-x 8 e e) a real, graphical emoji.

In emacs 28 if you know the codepoint(s) you can enter them with
'C-x 8 RET <codepoint>' and they'll display properly. The emacs-29 support for
entering them that youʼre talking about will likely be available as a
package for emacs-28 at some point.

    Dieter> (Undaunted, I'm trying another one) Can we settle for: Emacs-28 can
    Dieter> "read emoji" and Emacs-29 is able to "speak emoji"?

Theyʼre all unicode codepoints and emacs versions previous to 28 could
read them fine. The only thing that happened in emacs-28 is that their
display changed :-)

Robert