Re: master 6e5d79c048: Display show-paren-context-when-offscreen in chil

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: master 6e5d79c048: Display show-paren-context-when-offscreen in child frame
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 13:00:16 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I'm actually using pgtk on a 7 years old laptop and it doesn't feel
>> slow.  The reason why I started with the child-frame approach is that
>> the child-frame can be positioned precisely at the top-left of the
>> current window.  Since emacs now supports pixel-wise scrolling, it
>> can happen that only the lower half of the line at `window-start' is
>> visible which would be bad if an overlay was placed there.  Is there
>> a way to test if some position is completely visible?
>
> Try `pos-visible-in-window-p'.

Ah, so if (pos-visible-in-window-p (window-start) nil t) returns a
6-element list, then (window-start) is not completely visible.

My idea was to display the context overlay in the second line in such
cases but I don't think that's worthwhile to bother with.  It seems that
so many basic commands (next-line, previous-line, move-end-of-line) get
me out of this "half line visible state" that it can be neglected.

Bye,
Tassilo