Re: master 6e5d79c048: Display show-paren-context-when-offscreen in chil

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: master 6e5d79c048: Display show-paren-context-when-offscreen in child frame
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 14:50:05 +0100

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>>> BTW, in the meantime I've pushed the overlay version which is pretty
>>> much the same UI-wise but doesn't hit bug bug#53871.

Thanks Tassilo, I just updated my build and will play with it.

>> Another advantage of using an overlay is that it wraps correctly and
>> doesn't overwrite the scrollbar or a wrapped tool bar on the
>> no-toolkit build.
>
> Yes, each version has its pros and cons.  The child-frame version has
> the benefit of not occupying a complete line if the context string is
> shorter.

I like the child-frame version more, exactly for the reasons mentioned
by Po Lu above (which are not advantages for me): I find it less
distracting when the context is outside the actual code, and overwriting
scroll bar or the tab-line (which I use) for a short period of time
isn't a big deal.  But that's a matter I taste, I think.

Best, Arash