Re: master 6e5d79c048: Display show-paren-context-when-offscreen in chil

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: master 6e5d79c048: Display show-paren-context-when-offscreen in child frame
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:41:39 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I found a problem: when I click so that point is moved onto the
> parentheses being highlighted, the context overlay flickers and then
> disappears.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, after some poking, it seems that you get the intended behavior when
your mouse click is short, i.e., in that case, the behavior is the same
as if you've moved point to the closing paren with some non-mouse means.

However, when you press and hold the mouse button just a tiny bit
longer, I get the behavior you describe.

I guess the difference here is that in the first case, emacs handles
some "mouse button clicked" event whereas in the second case handles one
"mouse button pressed" and one "mouse button released" event.  "clicked"
and "pressed" seem to set point and will trigger the show-paren context
info but the "released" event then also runs `post-command-hook' which
will remove the context overlay/child-frame again.  And since we've
already shown the context info for the current position of point, we're
not gonna show it again.

I'm not sure how to fix that or even if it deserves a fix.

Bye,
Tassilo