Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:11:00 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Does it have to be immediate, or could a weekly-summary (something like
>   > "new packages and releases") also do it?
>
> I think it will be more effective if each package gets a separate message.
> If you put two or three packages in one message, people's eyes may glaze over.

The same argument can be made for the opposite approach.  If there are
too many "New package" or "Package updated" messages, I am particularly
inclined to read ever one of them in detail.  The only value of separate
messages in my eyes would be that you could respond to them directly,
but that would create too much traffic, and would probably require a
separate mailing list.

I guess the real question remains who the "target audience" of these
messages would be.  As Michael said, Sasha Chua's weekly update already
mentions new packages (though not package updates).

--
        Philip Kaludercic