Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:18:37 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:11:00 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >   > Does it have to be immediate, or could a weekly-summary (something like
> >   > "new packages and releases") also do it?
> >
> > I think it will be more effective if each package gets a separate message.
> > If you put two or three packages in one message, people's eyes may glaze
> > over.
>
> The same argument can be made for the opposite approach.  If there are
> too many "New package" or "Package updated" messages, I am particularly
> inclined to read ever one of them in detail.  The only value of separate
> messages in my eyes would be that you could respond to them directly,
> but that would create too much traffic, and would probably require a
> separate mailing list.

If you are going to post these messages to one of the existing mailing
list, then people who want to read the list as a digest already setup
that in their list preferences (and can modify them if these
announcements somehow are a game-changer for them).

IOW, don't worry about providing a digest: it is already provided.