Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:37:32 -0500

  > > I think it would be wise and helpful to announce each new package
  > > added for the first time to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA.  These
  > > hand-written announcements would contain a brief paragraph that
  > > summarizes what the package does.  (This text could be stored in the
  > > repo so people could look at it later.)

  > Are you thinking about an automated system, or should the people that
  > add the package to elpa.git/nongnu.git send a separate message?

If the scripts could tell the difference between a newly added package
and a new version, it could be good to make the script detect this
and change the automatic announcement accordingly.

BUT the new-package announcement should NOT be a minor variation on
the update announcement.  On the contrary, we should make the two look
quite different, to make sure readers notice new packages.

Also, it would be desirable for new package announcements
to give more info about what the package does.
(The one or two lines now included in the update announcements
are good, for the update announcements.  I wouldn't want to change that.)