Re: with-pgtk: C-; turns into plain ';'

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: with-pgtk: C-; turns into plain ';'
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:37:19 +0800

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Interesting, I'm using pgtk on wayland/sway and C-h k C-S-u doesn't
> report anything but inserts an underlined letter "u" in the current
> buffer, even when that is read-only, and still seems to wait for my key.
> Then, emacs is inresponsive, C-g won't work, and I need to switch to
> another window and back again.  At that point, the underlined u
> disappears and I can interact with emacs again.

If you're using I-Bus, then that's the Unicode code-point input panel.
You can disable it by running:

  gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji unicode-hotkey []

Or removing the "Unicode code point" entry in the Emoji tab of
ibus-setup.

The reason C-g does not work and Emacs appears to be unresponsive is
that the input method filters out all keypresses and sends them to the
panel, and switching to another window serves to dismiss that panel.

> When I run (pgtk-use-im-context nil), the above problem doesn't happen
> and C-h k C-S-u reports C-u translated from C-S-u.  However, I also
> cannot insert characters like ` or ยด anymore.  Pressing the relevant
> AltGr-key combo on my German Dvorak layout doesn't seem to be received
> by emacs.  C-h k <AltGr-combo> doesn't receive anything.

That's expected, since those combinations are handled by the GTK input
method machinery.

Thanks.