Re: Emacs on macOS

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Emacs on macOS
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:55:05 +0800

Perry Smith <pedzsan@icloud.com> writes:

> When emacs dies on a Mac (as with any application), a GUI window pops
> up with a place to enter some text and a button that says “Report”.
> When the button is hit, something sends something somewhere but I
> doubt if anything is sent to the emacs-bug list.  The window appears
> to have some pretty useful information like stack trace for each
> thread, etc.
>
> The flip side is, report-emacs-bug also has a lot of useful
> information.  My question is what is the preferred or most effective
> way to combine these two sources of information?  One choice is to
> copy what is in the macOS window and paste it into the email that
> report-emacs-bug creates.  Another choice might be to attach a file
> that macOS creates when an application dies but I don’t know where
> that file lives.

When Emacs crashes, it should output a backtrace to stdout.  The correct
thing to do is to ignore the contents of any macOS system error dialog,
convert the backtrace to human-readable form, and send that backtrace to
bug-gnu-emacs along with the output of `report-emacs-bug'.

See (emacs)Crashing for more information on how to do this.