Re: Emacs on macOS

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Emacs on macOS
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 14:45:26 +0100

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 05:52:01PM -0500, Perry Smith wrote:
> When emacs dies on a Mac (as with any application), a GUI window
> pops up with a place to enter some text and a button that says
> “Report”. When the button is hit, something sends something
> somewhere but I doubt if anything is sent to the emacs-bug list. The
> window appears to have some pretty useful information like stack
> trace for each thread, etc.
>
> The flip side is, report-emacs-bug also has a lot of useful
> information. My question is what is the preferred or most effective
> way to combine these two sources of information? One choice is to
> copy what is in the macOS window and paste it into the email that
> report-emacs-bug creates. Another choice might be to attach a file
> that macOS creates when an application dies but I don’t know where
> that file lives.

I'd suggest your copy/paste option. Or if the output from the macOS
window is very large attach it as a file.

The output from the macOS window can be of no use or a lot of use,
depending on what caused the crash, and sometimes how the build has
been done, but it's usually better than nothing.
--
Alan Third