[Add xattr to the INSTALLATION file?] (was: Emacs on macOS)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [Add xattr to the INSTALLATION file?] (was: Emacs on macOS)
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 09:04:02 +0200

>>> "PS" == Perry Smith <pedzsan@icloud.com> writes:

Hi
> I’m not sure if this is the best list for this:
> I have an M1 Max (arm based / Apple Silicon) MacBook Pro with the
> latest macOS of 12.3. I also have Homebrew installed with about 27
> items installed. I have not installed any libraries just to have the
> libraries but have only installed commands.

> In any case, building emacs was the usual drop dead easy: ./configure; make ;
> make install

> The one tiny hiccup is you need to do:

> sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine Emacs.app

> to get the Emacs.app to launch. The GNU Emacs web site points users to
> EmacsForMacOSX. EmacsForMacOSX has problems opening files in
> ~/Desktop, ~/Downloads, and ~/Documents if the user is using Apple’s
> cloud solution. My belief is that these problems come up because the
> EmacsForMacOSX starts with a ruby script which eventually launches the
> emacs binary. I believe macOS at that point no longer trusts the
> executable — which seems totally reasonable.

Very interesting, I compiled GNU emacs on Mac 10.15 myself, but using
fink [1]. Be it as it may I did not use xattr (I did not know about
about it, so I used the ruby script to start my compiled emacs. Well it
is quite slow (reason could also my init file), so

How does your compiled Emacs start up? Since you have a M1 it should be
fast, but did you compare it with the rugby script?

BTW, maybe

sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine Emacs.app

should be added to the INSTALLATION file for MacOS?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1] (because I thought it would be more familiar to a debian system, it
     is but a bit outdated, well with two maintainers, no wounder)