Re: etags name collision.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: etags name collision.
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:29:50 +0300

On 12.04.2022 16:45, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
What I think I said was that ctags has a standardized format by POSIX,
this is what Emacs ctags (and BSD ctags) output; Exuberant ctags does
not output this format.

Wikipedia says:

Extended Ctags
This is the format used by Vim's Exuberant Ctags and Universal Ctags. These programs can generate an original ctags file format or an extended format that attempts to retain backward compatibility.

Universal Ctags's manual says:

u-ctags, e-ctags u-ctags is the default output format extending the Exuberant Ctags output format
(e-ctags).
--format=1 and --format=2 are same as --output-format=e-ctags and
--output-format=u-ctags respectively.
See man page tags (5) for details. The difference between u-ctags and e-ctags are marked as “EX- CEPTION”. Additional changes in Universal Ctags are described in Changes to the tags file format.

Somebody should experiment with the --format flag, but if there is indeed no option for the original format, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctags should be updated.