Re: Proposal: add a binding for `imenu' under M-g

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Proposal: add a binding for `imenu' under M-g
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:50:10 -0400

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> Do you think that additionally to 'M-g i' imenu should be
> bound also to 'M-g M-i'?  Then it could be typed without
> releasing the Meta modifier.  But the problem is that
> 'M-i' is equivalent to 'TAB', so this means taking the
> keybinding 'M-g TAB' that might have more sense for
> another command associated with TABs like navigating to
> the next link, then 'M-g S-TAB' to the previous link, etc.

I don't think imenu deserves two bindings and 'M-g i' is easy enough.

FWIW I use the consult package and bind, as follows:

    (global-set-key (kbd "M-g i") 'consult-imenu)
    (global-set-key (kbd "M-g M-i") 'consult-imenu-multi)

The second allows completion from the imenu of all buffers
in the same project with the same major mode.

Consult itself doesn't bind these commands but suggests
'M-g 'i and 'M-g I' (capital i).

--

Howard