Re: Windows 28.1 install/zip has el newer than elc for some files?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows 28.1 install/zip has el newer than elc for some files?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:45:13 +0300

> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:53:22 -0500
> Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, Phillip Lord
> <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:26 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not familiar with makensis, but other than that, the only
> > explanation of the problem with timestamps can be some tool you use
> > under the hood, like if (for example) 'cp' or 'install' or 'tar' or
> > 'gzip' don't preserve time stamps (which would mean they are buggy).
>
> We use makensis to create the installer using the NSI file under
> admin/nt/dist-build.  I don't use install, tar.

'tar' is used by "make install" to copy the files to the installation
directory.  'install' is also used by "make install", see the
top-level Makefile.

> Have you been able to verify the problem actually exists with the
> files as uploaded to the FTP site currently (since I rebuilt using the
> source tarball)?  I'm wondering if the issue could be happening
> during extraction somehow.

Since you insisted, I did that now, and the new zip file doesn't have
those problems.  (And it's unlikely this happens at unzip time, since
the programs we use, like InfoZip's UnZip, are very old and reliable.)

It still somewhat puzzles me why all the *.el files have timestamps
from March 11, and not the time stamps from the release tarball.

But since you no longer can reproduce the problem, I see no reason to
continue discussing this particular issue.