Re: Windows 28.1 install/zip has el newer than elc for some files?

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Windows 28.1 install/zip has el newer than elc for some files?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:53:22 -0500

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:26 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with makensis, but other than that, the only
> explanation of the problem with timestamps can be some tool you use
> under the hood, like if (for example) 'cp' or 'install' or 'tar' or
> 'gzip' don't preserve time stamps (which would mean they are buggy).

We use makensis to create the installer using the NSI file under
admin/nt/dist-build.  I don't use install, tar.

Have you been able to verify the problem actually exists with the
files as uploaded to the FTP site currently (since I rebuilt using the
source tarball)?   I'm wondering if the issue could be happening
during extraction somehow.

FTR, the commands I'm using were extracted from the build-zips.sh
script which I believe Phil used for some time without running across
this problem.  I've added him in copy in case he may have ideas.

In any case, my version of zip(1) appears to be preserving the
date/time of the files collected. Here's the version information it
reports:

$ zip -v
Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP - Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
This is Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008), by Cygwin. Original by Info-ZIP.
Currently maintained by E. Gordon.  Please send bug reports to
the authors using the web page at www.info-zip.org; see README for details.

Latest sources and executables are at ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip,
as of above date; see http://www.info-zip.org/ for other sites.

Compiled with gcc 7.3.0 for Unix (Cygwin) on Jul 27 2018.

Please do let me know additional thoughts/questions/experimentation requests.